maandag 5 november 2012

Review of a Performance


Hello people!

I’m sorry I haven’t posted anything since my introduction, but I just didn’t have anything to tell you. But, surprise-surprise, I do have something to tell you right now! This is also an assignment for school, so let’s get started!

Review of a performance: How to be Orange

Performance: How To Be Orange
Performer: Gregory Shapiro
When: 27th of September at approximately 8 PM
Where: At my own school

Yes, the location is a bit odd, so I feel like a little explanation will be needed before I start reviewing. The thing is, I am, together with a lot of other students, part of the Cambridge ESOL – English for Speakers of Other Languages – program, which gives my English language skills a huge boost. I won’t bother you with any other theoretical chitchat about it, but the point is that I’ve passed my first exam, FCE – First Certificate in English – and this Gregory Shapiro was our guest speaker and performed his show How to be Orange at my school.

The show reflected on the Dutch culture and what it’s like for an American like himself to live in the Netherlands. Some examples are the Dutch language, our typical phrase ‘hèhè’ and how some of our words would be pronounced in English, like ‘Mama, die, die, die!’ and the Dutch names Bas, Job, Tjerk and Freek. Just try pronouncing those to yourself in an English accent, it sounds pretty funny.

But the key of every performance is bringing it in a way that makes your audience find it funny as well. And, judging by the laughter in the school canteen and my own belly that started to hurt from laughing, he did a very good job at that. The performance was funny, understandable and well-put. And not only we, the teenagers, found it funny, but our parents had a good laugh as well.

All together, it was a really good performance and I certainly had a good time. The only downside was that it didn’t last very long. That’s really the only con I can come up with, because all together it was really great and really enjoyable. Gregory himself seemed to be a nice man as well, because he assisted handing out the certificates after his show by calling out the names. So if you’re in for a good laugh, certainly check out one of his shows! He can also be seen on HumorTV and has his own YouTube channel. I hope you’ll enjoy watching him as much as I did.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten